Saturday, September 19, 2015

# 144 Pepper Spray & a Sting Operation in Bangkok




The reason given for David Fletcher’s allegedly ‘sudden’ departure from Cambodia in June 2010 is that he was ‘fleeing’ because he knew that he was about to be arrested. 

It is now clear, beyond any shadow of a doubt (attested by APLE’s own report of 23rd June), that as of 25th June 2010, when Mr Fletcher was already in Thailand, there was no warrant for his arrest or any suggestion that he had raped Yang Dany.

Here is David Fletcher gives his account of how and why he left Cambodia. It is an account verified by several witnesses

I opened the bar, ‘Rick's Place’, at the end of October 2009. It was situated at # 100, 15th Street Street, opposite the Fancy Guest House.  

It is at ‘Rick’s Place’ that APLE alleges I raped Yang Dany, twice six months earlier, in March 2009. The problem with this version of events is that the building consisted of nothing more than four derelict floors in March and I did not own the lease.

Not only did ‘Rick’s Place’ not exist when I am supposed to have raped this young woman there, nor had I yet met Yang Dany. APLE could have found this out if Scott Neeson, Thierry Darnaudet and Samleang Siela had done a little homework.

(Why would a young woman who was raped by me on the 15th March at ‘Rick’s Bar’, if it had existed, come back for more on the 22nd?)

Isaac Veith, a spy paramedic working for Scott Neeson, rented the building at the time. He asked me if I wanted to rent the two lower floors from him. I agreed and the lease was signed in October 2009.

I decorated and fitted the place out myself on a tight  budget, as I was now getting very tired of the animosity from the plebs on Khmer 440 and NGOs looking for evidence that I was grooming young girls. Scott Neeson was trying very hard to destroy me as a competitor in the rubbish dump. I did not see Neeson as a competitor but as a brother in arms. There was a need for half a dozen NGOs such as his and operations such as mine. I was never an NGO and never pretended to be one. I was happy to be making my own small contribution.

I hired a very nice young lady called Rhota, 32 years of age, to be my manageress. We had a good working relationship. I helped her with English and I taught Rhota the bar trade and how to make cocktails.

I also met a nice lady who worked in a bank, named Dara. She was about forty years of age. She would often come to the bar and sit and talk with me and Rhota.

Isaac Veith came in one day with a fat Australian, about 50 years of age. He had a beard that made him look like a drunken hippy on a Harley Davidson, even though he didn't possess one. I was introduced to him as Fred.

‘Fred’ was just a nickname, I think. His second name I've forgotten. It turned out he was one of the partners of the ‘Ox Gold’ distillery project that started this new line of spirits called ‘Ox Gold’. It consisted of vodka, whiskey and cognac. Apparently the partners had all fallen out (with hindsight I can understand why) and ‘Ox Gold’ had gone broke.

Fred was in conflict with his other partners in ‘Ox Gold’ about money so he had asked Isaak Veith if he could hide about 200 crates of spirits in our building. Isaak agreed. I had nothing to do with it. So that night they offloaded the cases Fred had taken from the distillery without his other partners’ knowledge. He claimed later that this was in lieu of money owed to him.

Fred asked me if I would like to buy some and try to promote the product for him in my bar. I agreed and bought a few cases at retail price. Fred went away for a while. When he came back he asked me if I would go in with him on a charity he was setting up. I said I would look at it, remembering I was asked that this a few years before but the Australian Mafia in Phnom Penh who drove around in a silver Mercedes and came to Bogie and Bacalls – the bar I had owned earlier. It turned out to be a fake charity so I told Fred a few home truths. He did not appreciate my candour.

A few evenings later (all these events were witnessed) Fred came into the bar very drunk. A friend said, “Be careful David, Fred is very drunk.” For some strange reason Fred was carrying a tin of baked beans. He presented me with a bill for approximately $65 for spirits I had acquired from him. I said I only had a $100 bill on me. He had no change, so I said I would pay him a little later, when I had change, less his bar bill. With this he stood up, started raving and smashed me over the head with his can of baked beans. (Funny now but not then!)

I must have a hard head is it split the can of beans  but I only cut my head above my ear. Rhota saw me go down and tossed me my infamous (according to the plebs on Khmer440) Bowie knife. It was 13 inches long and I kept it behind the bar for just such occasions. Fred did not like the knife pressed against his fat guts and retreated to the street, being the brave person he was!

Later that evening he came back for his stolen cases of spirit with a policeman he had paid to help him. I would not allow Fred on the premises. The policeman came into the bar and sat down with me. I gave him the money I owed Fred,  less his bar bill.

What happened next was very funny. Fred had bought two tuk tuks with him to collect his hoard of spirits. He was still very drunk. The tuk tuk drivers loaded half Fred’s cargo into one tuk tuk. As the rest was being loaded into the second tuk tuk the first one disappeared into the night with Fred’s grog. So Fred finished up with only about half of his grog. The tuk tuk drivers stole the other half! Karma.

About two weeks later Dara, Rhota and a mate of mine were sitting at the outside table of the bar. My mate went to take a leak. A moto pulled up with fat hippy Fred on it. He ran to the table raving. I start to stand up and he sprayed my eyes with pepper spray. I went down. Dara got a dose of the spray and so did some of my customers.

Fred was just about to give me the boot, as I was down and blinded (very brave man, our Fred) when my mate came out of the toilet, saw what was going on, and gave chase. Brave fat Fred ran back to the moto and roared off into the night.

Thankfully we had plenty of ice. I covered my eyes with it and within about 15 minutes I could see, although it was still very painful. Rhota called the police.  All they were interested in was seeing my passport and visa, which were at the immigration office being renewed. I was rebuked by the police for not having them with me. I told them to go forth and multiply themselves!

Fred became one of the plebs on Khmer 440, and the NGOs such as APLE and Scott Neeson who ramped up their demonizing of me. I had had enough.  After two attacks like this, with a good friend being hurt as a consequence, I  informed all my friends that I was tired of being demonized by the Khmer440 plebs and that I had decided to leave Cambodia and take up one of the two jobs I had been offered. One was in Manila and in the other was in South Africa. I closed ‘Rick’s Place’, took the contents in a truck to the dump and gave it to several of my families, including Yang Dany and her mother. I said my goodbyes to Danny's family and the others I had helped.

A week later I went to Pursat to spend a few days with my Khmer family, my wife's father. I arrived back in Phnom Penh on 23rd June 2010. I received a phone call from Dany asking if I would meet her and her family that night, but not to come to the dump. So I said I would meet them at a Khmer cafe that I taken them to before. Dany asked me to meet at 5:30. At 6pm I received a call I received a call from a friend of Dany’s that she could not come.

The next day, 24th of June 2010, I left Phnom Penh on the bus to Bangkok via Poi Pet. I obtained a visa for 14 days to Thailand. And my passport was stamped correctly.

I was going to Bangkok  to pick up tickets there for a direct flight to Manila to talk to ‘Karl’ about one of the job offers. I had never met Karl but had corresponded with him by email. He said he was sympathetic to the problems I was having in Cambodia and asked if I would like to set up an operation similar to the one I had in Cambodia, in the Philippines. I was interested, at least in having a chat with ‘Karl’ about what he had in mind. Since he had offered me a free air ticket to meet him in Manilla I had no reason to distrust ‘Karl’. As I was to discover soon enough, I should have distrusted ‘Karl’.

I stayed the small hotel owned by an Englishman, checking in on the evening of 24 th June. The next morning one of the staff, who was related to the owner, said two men had called when I was out to see if I was there. They had my photo. The only people that could know where I was staying were the Thai immigration department and ‘Karl’. The owner od the hotel told me that immigration did not collect the guest list for another three days, so would notyewt know where I was staying. Hence, it had to be ‘Karl’ who had visited. Why hadn’t he left a note?

For the next couple of days I waited for ‘Karl’ to make contact. He didn’t. In a previous life I'd been taught to cope with being followed. Now I was sure I was being followed and put my skills into play.

I could not imagine who was following me, or why, as I had done nothing wrong. The only people I considered it could be were Scott Neeson’s Muppets, SISHA or APLE, as they had followed me so much in  Phnom Penh. But why now?  In Thailand?

On Sunday 27th of June 2010 the two men (Thais) came back to the hotel. I was there arranging to go to South Africa, as I had heard nothing from ‘Karl’. The two men said the British Embassy had sent them to tell me the embassy wanted to talk to me. I said fine. At the time I thought: “who am I to argue with the British Embassy.”

Poor fool me! The two men took me to the infamous BKK IDC (Immigration Detention Centre). They said they had seen the article  Drummond had published about me in the UK They asked me if I had seen the article. I said no! So the prison officials allowed me to use their computer to find it. They asked me if it was correct. I said that some of it was but mostly it was lies. He then gave me a form to sign that was written in Thai. I asked what it was. He told me it was just a receipt! I signed but wrote above my name "I do not understand this document" I was placed in a cell. It would take me a few years before I figured out that ‘Karl’ was in fact XXXX.

…to be continued

I have not revealed ‘Karl’s’ identity at this point for legal reasons. It was not until 2014, cross-referencing emails and other documents, that it became apparent that ‘Karl’ had made a very simple error whilst trying to keep his identity secret as he played a key role in the sting operation that delivered David Fletcher into the Immigration Detention Centre.

18 comments:

  1. none of these accounts were considered by the court or police or anyone; seems they can just put a man in prison and forget him; with out evidence of his guilt and not allow him to present his evidence of innocence; a strange place indeed.
    I am very thankful that the Daily is taking an interest in David's case; they need to expose this practice developed by Scott Neeson to prevent any real help to the poor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been posted before but it has disappeared almost immediately.

    This happens reasonably frequently and I am not sure if this is because someone is interfering with this blog or if it is just one of those strange things that occur in cyberspace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, so the comment has disappeared again. I have cut and pasted it from my own INBOX and, hopefully, it will not disappear this time.

      ***

      I have tried to keep an open mind about this case but must confess that I have swung this way and that - sometimes believing what I read here, sometimes not.

      I do agree with Mr Ricketson that in matters of all all that counts are the facts.

      I recalled a media release from some years ago and it did not take me long to find it. It is a Press Release put out by SISHA on 28th June 2010.

      Mr Fletcher had already been in Thailand for four days when the Press Release was issued. At that time, by SISHA'S own admission, Mr Fletcher had not been charged with any crime after 2 years of investigations and there was no warrant for his arrest that had been issued in Cambodia.

      Interestingly, Mr Fletcher had been arrested in Thailand the day beforehand.

      SISHA'S 28th June 2010 Press Release

      For the past two years, the British Police Child Exploitation and Online Protection team (CEOP), in cooperation with the Cambodia National Police and NGO’s South East Asia Investigations into Social and Humanitarian Activities (SISHA) and APLE have been investigating British national Mr. David Fletcher for alleged sexual abuse of children in Cambodia.

      On Wednesday the 23rd of June 2010, media articles were published in Cambodia and other countries which alleged that Mr. David Fletcher, a British national living in Phnom Penh, was running a not-for-profit organisation which provided food and medical services to children living in the Stung Meancheay dump site in Phnom Penh. The media articles further alleged that Fletcher was sexually abusing young children living at the dump site.

      On Friday 25th of June 2010, as a result of media articles published, Fletcher fled Cambodia and travelled across land into Thailand.

      The British Police Child Exploitation and Online Protection team (CEOP), in cooperation with the Royal Thai Police and NGO - South East Asia Investigations into Social and Humanitarian Activities (SISHA), acting on information provided by concerned citizens living in Cambodia, located Fletcher at a guest house in Bangkok.

      END OF PRESS RELEASE

      At this point Mr Fletcher had only been tried by the media and it seems found guilty. This all seems very fishy to me and the precise sequence of events leading up to and including Mr Fletcher's arrest, along with the destruction of his passport by the British Embassy and Yang Dany's virginity should all be looked at closely in a properly constituted court of law.

      Delete
    2. The comment seems not to have disappeared this time! I am not sure how or why this occurs. I am not given to conspiracy theories, but I am also ware that many attempts have been made to hack into this blog. They have all failed to date.

      Delete
  3. I understand how blogs work and I can assure you that they are easy to hack into. I am surprised that this blog has not been shut down given its potential to cause embarrassment and reputational damage to certain non government organisations, UK government bodies and the Cambodian Ministry of Justice

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete


  5. When someone posts a comment I receive notification of the comment in my email, so I know what has been posted. On occasion these posts disappear very quickly on my blog and I am never 100% sure whether someone is removing them or if it is just one of those strange things that happen in cyberspace from time to time.

    Here is one that was posted a couple of hours ago that has disappeared:

    “I did some googling myself and found this by you mr ricketson

    Steve Morrish
    61A Main St, Mornington
    Victoria 3931
    Australia

    18th Jan 2015

    Dear Steve

    As you know the destruction of reputations by rumour, scuttlebutt and innuendo is rife in Cambodia. Combined with the Chinese Whisper effect, amplified by the megaphone of blogs such as Khmer440, these can soon become accepted as facts beyond dispute.

    You have had first hand experience of this at the hands of (the potty mouth, the poison pen of!) Peter Hogan.

    The best way to deal with rumour, scuttlebutt and innuendo is head on. Find out if there is any truth to it and, if not, try to expose those who have peddled it. This is not easy given that most peddlers of defamatory nonsense do so anonymously!

    The latest rumour to reach my ears, one that I take with a huge grain of salt, is that
    South East Asia Investigations into Social and Humanitarian Activities (SISHA) SISHA is now funded by the Cambodian Children’s Fund? If so, that makes Scott Neeson effectively your boss?

    If the rumour is not true, now is the time to nip it in the bud.

    My interest in this rumour, should it prove to be true, needs to be placed in the context of SISHA’S pursuit of David Fletcher in 2009 and 2010 for the alleged sexual abuse of young girls and the role played by Scott Neeson.

    The media release below, dated 28th June 2010, makes clear that SISHA was actively involved in a two year investigation into the activities of David Fletcher in Cambodia.

    As you will be aware, Mr Fletcher was tried in absentia in Cambodia in 2011 and sentenced to 10 years in jail for the rape of Yang Dany. Fletcher only learnt of the trial after it had occurred. He was given no opportunity to present a defense in court. Even if he had known in advance of the secret court hearing he would not have been able to attend anyway as he was, at the time, incarcerated in a Thai prison awaiting deportation to Cambodia. This fact was known to the Cambodian authorities who decided, nonetheless, to hold a trial that journalists were unable to attend and report on and from which the pubic was barred.

    Given the role that you personally, and SISHA generally, played in his pursuit:

    “Do you believe that Mr Fletcher’s 2011secret rape trial was conducted in accordance with the Cambodian Code of Criminal Procedure?”

    more to come

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the blog entry that disappeared continues...


      From the 28th June 2010 SISHA press release:

      “For the past two years…South East Asia Investigations into Social and Humanitarian Activities (SISHA) and APLE have been investigating British national Mr. David Fletcher for alleged sexual abuse of children in Cambodia.”

      Given that Mr Fletcher has spent close to five years in jail without having had the opportunity to present a defense in any Cambodian court, without having even been interviewed by police or an Investigating Judge, the following question arises:

      “Did SISHA, in the course of its investigations, find evidence that Mr Fletcher had been sexually abusing children in Cambodia?”

      If the answer to this question is ‘yes’ why had Mr Fletcher not been arrested and charged, after two years of investigations by SISHA and CEOP and before you issued the June 2010 press release?

      “At the time of this press release were SISHA and CEOP in possession of evidence pointing to Mr Fletcher’s guilt?”

      It certainly appears that SISHA and CEOP were not. The wording of the press release makes it clear that it was issued on the basis of what had been written in an article by Andrew Drummond published on 20th June 2010. And where did Andrew Drummond get his information from? Let me quote what Scott Neeson, of the Cambodian Children’s Fund, told Andrew Drummond:

      “There is little doubt Fletcher devotes his time to grooming young girls….The fact is these children can be bought. It’s difficult to stop it. The British Embassy have been told about Fletcher. Many organizations have files on him, but nothing has happened. If you can get this guy sent packing you are doing a service to the children here.”

      SISHA used allegations made by Scott Neeson and Andrew Drummond as justification for issuing a press release that essentially pre-judged (and defamed) David Fletcher. The stage was set for an arrest in Thailand that seemed appropriate to the allegations (both made and implied) that David Fletcher was guilty of child sex abuse.

      Trial by media and press release!

      A week after Drummond’s article was published, Fletcher was ‘sent packing’ - arrested in Thailand at the request of SISHA, CEOP and the British Embassies of Cambodia and Thailand. Both Peter Hogan’s and Scott Neeson’s wishes had been granted.

      http://cambodia440.blogspot.com/2015/01/84-questions-for-steve-morrish-re.html

      # 84 Questions for Steve Morrish re SISHA'S investigations into David Fletcher in 2009 and 2010

      Delete
    2. The rest of what I wrote back in Jan this year, in my letter to Steve Morrish, is pertinent also. I never did get a response from Steve Morrish, though it did become apparent, from a variety of sources, that Scott Neeson was NOT funding SISHA:

      “By late June 2010, with no evidence of any abuse a week earlier (this is clear from Drummond’s article), SISHA was supporting the proposition that Fletcher had raped Yang Dany 15 months earlier. As a reading of court documents and Drummond’s article, make clear, just a week earlier Yang Dany had described David Fletcher as her ‘fiance’, her ‘boyfriend’ and as a ‘good man’. It was only when she and her mother, Sekun, were told in late June that they could receive $30,000 in compensation for Yang Dany’s ‘rape’ that any mention of having been raped in 2009 was made by Dany. Did not this sudden transposition from ‘fiance’ and ‘good man’ to ‘rapist’ in the course of one week strike you as odd? Especially when it became clear that Kheang Sekun was asking for $30,000 in compensation!?

      As you know, both Yang Dany and her mother subsequently denied that any rapes took place.

      SISHA published this 28th June 2010 press release on the basis of an article that you must have known, given that you had been investigating for two years, was factually incorrect (no evidence of child sex abuse), on the basis of defamatory comments made by Scott Neeson and scuttlebutt picked up by Andrew Drummond during his 3 day trip to Cambodia!

      ....to be continued...

      Delete
    3. ....continuing...


      And where did Drummond get most of his ‘facts’ from? Peter Hogan. Hogan, the then proprietor of Khmer440, boasted online of his desire to destroy David Fletcher. On his blog on Wed 2nd Oct 2013, at 3.33 pm, in celebration of David Fletcher’s recently announced jail sentence, Hogan wrote:

      “Cold drinks will most certainly be taken this evening to toast Fletcher's first night in his new abode.

      I recall that 4(!) years ago when Grandslam and myself hatched our plan, we made a sequential list of desirable outcomes beginning with getting his 'charity' closed then moving onto having his shithole-in-the-wall bar closed, having him outed in the press (and fuck, did we achieve that one!) etc etc.

      Today, the last box on the sheet ('Fletch in Prey Sar') was finally ticked off so I'll allow myself a few strong drinkies in celebration and will be raising my glass to Grandslam back in the UK.

      Having been defamed yourself by Peter Hogan, Steve, and suffered both personally and professionally as a result, surely you are able to put yourself in David Fletcher’s shoes and appreciate what it feels like to be languishing in jail on the basis of a trail of so-called evidence – scuttlebutt, rumour and innuendo - that leads back, via Neeson and Drummond, to Hogan’s desire to see Fletcher in jail.

      Unless you have evidence that was not, for some reason, presented to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court during David Fletcher’s secret 2011 trial (I have the entire court files) there is no evidence other than the testimony of Yang Dany that he raped her 15 months before she had told Andrew Drummond, yourself and CEOP that he was a ‘good man’.

      As you will be aware, and have been aware for a long time, Yang Dany’s hymen was declared by a doctor’s report to be intact. Yang Dany was a virgin in September 2010 despite two ‘brutal rapes’ in March 2009!

      Even if Yang Dany had not confessed, had not insisted that no rapes took place (as she has) surely, as an investigator into sexual abuse, the intact hymen of an alleged rape victim must have set alarm bells ringing? Shouldn’t such evidence (the doctor’s Sept 2010 report to the court), at the very least, be tested in a properly constituted court of law in which Fletcher is able to challenge the judges assertion that Yang Dany’s apparent virginity must result from her hymen having gown back?

      As you know, David Fletcher has never had an opportunity to present a defense of any kind in any court. More questions:

      “Have you, as head of SISHA, at any time in the past four and a half years, advocated on behalf of David Fletcher that he be entitled to a fair trial?”

      “Would you be prepared, in January 2015, to state in public that you believe Mr Fletcher is entitled to a trial in which he is able to present a defense?”

      In your press release you write:

      “South East Asia Investigations into Social and Humanitarian Activities (SISHA), is continuing its investigation into the allegations against Fletcher and asks that members of the community who have information regarding Fletcher and his alleged criminal activity or have been potential victims of his abuse, to please contact SISHA.”

      More questions:

      “Did you receive any further information or evidence of criminal activity on Mr Fletcher’s part from ‘potential victims’ or anyone else?”

      “What do you mean by ‘potential victims’?”

      ***

      There is more but it is not pertinent to this strand of investigation.

      Delete
  6. David is my friend and I sincerely care about him; I recall how happy it made him to tell me about the kids; Our Sunday morning conversations would be spent mostly with him telling me about what he was doing............about the kids..........he took great pride in the fact that he was doing something that he believed was making a difference. David also knew he was in danger and that by doing what he was doing, someone would take notice; he felt he could be killed for helping the kids; but he was willing to die for them...........I don't think he ever imagined he would end up in prison.

    Thank you for all you have done James and please accept my very heartfelt wishes for your film or book or both........you deserve what ever success this brings you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It appears James that you are about to reveal another very important part of the mystery on how David was found and arrested in Thailand before there was even an arrest warrant in Cambodia. Several questions arise.

    Is it odd that Morrish never responded to your letter?

    Isn’t it odd that Morrish never defends David’s right to a fair trial?

    Isn’t it odd that if Morrish had evidence against David that he didn’t present it to the court?

    Is Morrish along with Neeson, up to their necks in this?

    ReplyDelete
  8. No-one buys your fucking conspiracy rtheories Mr Rickets. You are just a piece of scum who should crawl back under a rock and die

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who one authorized YOU to speak for everyone? Speak for yourself anonymous 7:05!

      Delete
  9. Anonymous 7.05


    If you insist on using the word 'conspiracy' I guess you could characterise a trial as a competition between two opposing conspiracy theories. The Prosecution conspires to prove an innocent person guilty, whilst the Defence conspires to prove a guilty man innocent.The Prosecution seeks to convince the judge and/or jury that the known facts prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the accused has conspired to commit a crime. The Defence seeks to both question the veracity of these facts or demonstrate that the agreed upon facts are being misused by the Prosecution in an attempt to convict an innocent person. It is the role of the judge and/or jury to figure out which 'conspiracy' theory seems to be the most likely.

    It is not up to either the Prosecution or the Defence to determine guilt or innocence. It is up to the judge and/or jury. And the judge and jury are both concerned with facts, with evidence, not with rumour and scuttlebutt.

    To take an example from the Fletcher case.

    The Prosecution could present evidence to the court (facts) that Mr Fletcher 'fled' from Cambodia because he realised that he was about to be arrested. And the Defence could present evidence that Mr Fletcher had planned to leave some weeks earlier and, even if there had been a warrant for his arrest being prepared, that there is no way he could have known this prior to his departure.

    The judge and/or jury would then decide which of these two 'conspiracy' theories was the most credible.

    Right from the outset all Mr Fletcher has asked for is a trial based on facts, on evidence. Right from the outset APLE (and others) have gone out of their way (‘conspired’, if you like) to make such a trial impossible.

    The last arrow APLE has in its quivver is that back in 2013 certain paperwork was delivered late to court. APLE desperately does not want any court to judge Mr Fletcher’s innocence or guilt on the basis of fact; of evidence.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 705 sounds like an ex-pig rock spider living in Phnom Penh who thinks he is still a cop while feeding like a leach on charity funds. ex-cops like that slim ball Jim McCabe promoting himself as some hero makes my skin crawl . keep your hands off those kids you scum of the earth .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous 1.26

    Don't be shy, don't hold back; tell us what you really think :-)

    ReplyDelete