Wednesday, November 12, 2014

# 32 Phnom Penh Municipal Court announces trial date of 20th Nov! Or so it seems!



Phillip Hammond
Foreign Secretary
Parliamentary House of Commons
London SW1A                                                                                   

12th November 2014

Dear Mr Hammond

Since my letter of earlier in the day I have received an email that suggests Mr Fletcher’s trial (and not a hearing) is going to take place on 20th Nov.

Hi James,

I just got the phone call from Phnom Penh Municipal Court. They  will trail David John Fletcher case on November 20, at 8:30 am at the court house. Please don't miss this more detail contact clerk 017 56 90 17.

best regards,

I have no idea who sent me this email or whether it is factually correct. It is not possible for me to find out as I am in Australia.

If it is true, if Mr Fletcher’s trial is to occur on 20th Nov not only does he not have a lawyer but nor will he be able to call witnesses without my assistance. As Embassy staff in Cambodia kmow, Mr Fletcher cannot send or receive  mail, send or receive phone calls (officially) but can only access the internet for a few hours a day. He is in no position to be now trying to find a lawyer since, it seems, the Phnom Penh Municipal Court is not going to allocate one to him.

If it is true that Mr Fletcher’s trial is to take place on 20th Nov it is now imperative that he receive, from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, with the utmost urgency, a letter regarding his passport.

It would be very helpful if the Embassy in Cambodia were able to make contact with the Phnom Penh Municipal Court and find out when Mr Fletcher is due to appear (20th or 27th Nov?) and whether this appearance in court is a hearing or a trial. If it is a trial then I need to return to Cambodia to do what I can, at such short notice, to assist Mr Fletcher.

best wishes

James Ricketson



No comments:

Post a Comment