Thursday, December 4, 2014

# 58 Foreign Secretary Phillip Hammond abandons David Fletcher to his fate despite knowing that Fletcher could not possibly be guilty of raping Yang Dany.

David Fletcher claims that he was not in Cambodia at the time of the alleged rapes – 15th and 22nd March 2009. The only evidence of this that stood any chance of standing up in a Cambodian court was to be found in Mr Fletcher’s passport.

Ambassador Mark Kent of the British Embassy in Bangkok, knowing this to be the case, destroyed Mr Fletcher’s passport and hence evidence of his innocence.

The British Foreign and Commonwealth Office has now provided two different explanations as to why and how Mr Fletcher’s valid passport came to be cancelled and then destroyed. In one version it was a ‘mistake’ and in the other, in accordance with standard Embassy protocols. Neither version of what happened to the passport withstands close scrutiny.

Foreign Secretary Phillip Hammond refuses to answer any questions at all in relation to Mr Fletcher’s passport. And Freedom of Information requests for documents relating to the fate of Mr Fletcher’s passport have been turned down.

On 20th Nov, three weeks after judges in the Phnom Penh Municipal Court promised Mr Fletcher a ‘re-trial’ they reversed their decision and said that he was not entitled to one because the paperwork was not delivered to the court in time.

The woman David Fletcher allegedly raped, Yang Dany, was sent out of Cambodia by the NGO representing her (Action Pour Les Enfants) so that she would not be available for cross-examination, had there been a trial, and not available to speak with the media. She has sent to China by APLE but there is a suggestion, pure speculation at this point, that she has been trafficked to China.

How many other men are in jail as a result of allegations as demonstrably false as those leveled at David Fletcher perpetrated by APLE? And why is it that the British Embassy provides financial support to a non government organization (APLE) engaged in the pursuit, persecution and prosecution of innocent men in order to keep up a high arrest and incarceration rate?

David Fletcher was on day 21 of a hunger strike on the day I met him. He saw a glimmer of hope when I began to advocate on his behalf in September 2014 but that hope has evaporated. He has been abandoned by the British government and abandoned by human rights organizations in Cambodia.

At the age of 70 David realizes that he will not leave jail alive and would prefer is death to come sooner rather than later. 

For anyone interested in how this matter has unfolded (and with the patience necessary!) should start at #1 and read through to # 56.

Mr Phillip Hammond
Foreign Secretary
Parliamentary House of Commons
London SW1A                                                                                   

5th   Dec. 2014

Dear Foreign Minister

Whilst I remain hopeful that he may change his mind, Mr Fletcher seems determined to end his life in the coming week. He is concerned about a number of things, as is apparent from the email he sent this morning to Sue Bennett:

Dear Sue Bennett,

I am sorry to write to you as nameless persons have said you are no longer dealing with my affairs. But I cannot write a letter to a nameless person and address it to anonymous.

I am going to die within the next week Sue, I am naturally very concerned about the documents promised me under the FOI act.

Naturally I wish to die with my affairs in order and in good hands. If any documents are delivered to the prison after my death they will be destroyed or stolen. I have begged the Phnom Penh embassy for a will, but they appear unable to accommodate my fears, they do not know what to do. I cannot afford a lawyer to help. Which leaves me very very concerned as to what is going to happen to my affairs after my death.

I am also very concerned about what will happen to my body. I have no objection to cremation, but what of my ashes? I would ask my remains to be flown back to the uk to be scattered on my mother's grave in Littleport, Cambridge where I was born.

If you are unable to assist in my humanitarian request perhaps you would hold all my documents with my ashes and I will ask my power of attorney Mr James Ricketson to fly from Australia and collect them from you.

I beg you not to leave my affairs in the hands of a khmer system.

Regards,

David John Fletcher.


Sue has, by her own admission, been in possession of the documents requested by Mr Fletcher under FOI legislation for two months now. In the event that Mr Fletcher dies before the documents are cleared for delivery, what will happen to them? Will Sue Bennett respect Mr Fletcher’s oft-repeated request (backed up by a signed letter) that these documents be given to myself. It is my intention (and it is Mr Fletcher’s request) that I continue with my attempts to clear his name after his death. Solving the mystery of precisely what happened to Mr Fletcher’s passport is an integral part of this process.

As far as Mr Fletcher’s ashes are concerned, if the British Embassy is unable to accede to his wish that they be returned to Littleport, Cambridge, I will take them myself. Will the Embassy in Phnom Penh be able to arrange for his cremation?

best wishes

James Ricketson



No comments:

Post a Comment